You don’t have to be a woman to use this! For long, may be the market ignored the skincare needs of men but now, there’s a lot going on in this segment. There are products for every skin type for a male trying to protect and take care of his skin. This is by far the most important product in your daily skincare regimen- sunscreen! By now, if you haven’t figured out your must-haves and a specific skincare process that suits your skin, you need to start with it now. In an attempt to initiate skincare awareness, we at Sk give you the 101 on sunscreens!
Keep in mind that 90% of the damage done to skin can be attributed to the sun, so if you insist on being out in it, use a good sunscreen. Now, you mostly definitely know the benefits of using a good sun block. However, how many of you know what’s in the SPF and what it means?
What’s in a number?
You may ask us that but we tell you that there’s a lot more than you think to it! SPF stands for sun protection factor. It is a measure of how effective the sunscreen is in absorbing UV-B Radiation. For example, let’s say your unprotected skin typically burns after 10 minutes in the sun. If you use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15, it will extend the amount of time before your skin burns to 150 minutes, or two and one half hours.
Men have a different skin type as compared to women who generally look for cosmetic factors as well in their daily tinted sunscreen. You need to choose something that best suits your needs and skin.
Sunscreen- How to
What is the Best Way to Use Sunscreen?
Now, you know the importance of using a sun protection moisturizer and also what to consider when choosing one. However, you will still be doing half the good to your skin if you don’t apply it properly. As common notion, sunscreen need not be slapped on the skin and needs to be smothered out evenly for maximum coverage.
Remember, for sunscreen to be effective, it’s important to use it enough and apply it before going outdoors. If necessary, you must reapply it as well depending on how long you will be staying outdoors. Make it a habit to apply sunscreen or moisturizer with sunscreen every day as part of your morning routine. It should become as natural as brushing your teeth. Yes, that’s right!
Here’s how to get your facts right-
• One ounce (a shot glass full) per adult body per application. If you have a bottle of sunscreen that lasts all summer, you are not using enough. If you apply just a thin layer of sunscreen, you are surely not getting the protection advertised on the label, hence use it liberally on the skin.
• Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outdoors to give it a chance to be absorbed into the skin and reapply it every two hours, especially if you will be swimming or sweating and towel drying.
• Everyone should use sunscreen daily even if they will be exposed to the sun for short periods of time. Right from boys who go to school till adults travelling to work, a sun block is a must-have essential!
• Sunscreen generally remains stable and effective, as advertised by the SPF number on the label, for three years. If you have a bottle that long, you are probably not using enough sunscreen and should purchase a new one. After the expiration date, the sunscreen begins to break down and will not offer the intended protection.
Here’s our list of best sunscreens for you
- Zirh Defend - Defend SPF 15 protects the skin and moisturizes. One of its ingredients is avocado oil which, according to the manufacturer, moisturizes, nourishes, conditions, and helps increase water-soluble collagen content in the dermis skin layer. And Zirh is a high quality men's skin care line manufactured by Shiseido, one of the best skin care companies in the world.
- NEUTROGENA MEN- This active protect face lotion comes with 50+ SPF and is sweat proof as well. It is ideal for the outdoorsy guy in you!
- Anthony Logistics for Men- A part of the all natural skin care line, we trust this brand to do the rest. For those of you who have sensitive skin. This moisturizer protects the skin with SPF 15 and helps minimize the signs of aging. If you prefer more natural and organic products, then this is the line for you.
- Nivea Men- This protective moisturizer guards your skin from daily exposure to the elements with SPF 15 and UVA & UBV filters. It immediately alleviates skin dryness and tightness, providing long lasting moisture and care for the skin thereby protecting the skin.
Now, slather some sunscreen out and make it a part of your regimen starting today. Here’s to healthy skin!