One of Asia’s biggest fashion festoons, Wills India Fashion Week SS’13 has just wrapped up a couple of days ago. Veteran designer Ritu Kumar ended the five day fashion extravaganza with ample colour, embroidery, patch and gold thread work. However, what led to the finale were some great designs. This season sparked off a set of hot trends to try out in Spring/ Summer. We believe it’s never too early to stock up for fashion. So taking our cues from the fashion week, we pick out five trends to check out just for you!
1. Party Prints- Think SS and prints and motifs in quirky patterns cross the mind. Well, staying true to the spirit of the season, patterned prints made a huge comeback. Arty inspirations, Middle Eastern influences made for great inspirations this season. Ashish n Soni had cellular prints on pants and peplum styled tops while Charu Parashar showcased a fun collection which had block and tie-dye prints. High waist Technicolor printed shorts, kaftan styled blouses made for most of her collection. Malani Ramani revisited the wardrobe warrior and mixed block prints with bead work while Preeti Jhanwar’s ‘Olya’ collection saw digital prints in asymmetrically cut jersey and shirt dresses.
2. War of Colours- Moving beyond pastels, this season there’s a pop of colours ranging from neon to dark. Kallol Datta kept it to black and whites with its ‘imperfect’ and loose silhouettes, Gaurav Gupta showcased candy hues. Hot and cold pinks, corals, lime greens, tangerine red, peaches, whites with sky blue and sea green were some of the lovely colours used. White was seen as one of ‘the’ colours as it took centre stage pairing with blues, floral motifs as was displayed by Anand Bhushan and even Hemant and Nandita. Looks like ‘rainbow’ is finally a colour in this season’s palette!
3. Goth Goddesses- Though cherry reds, grape, plum and black are often associated with dark romance, this spring we say let’s bring it to our wardrobe. Designers portrayed tough designs and avant-garde designs this season. Dark lips complimented body-con dresses in metallic studs and bullets in 3-d projections seemed to be coming out strongly in Rajesh Pratap Singh’s designs. Kanika Saluja Chaudhary went all goth with her rustic silver and black combination. Spikes, pointy shoulders with metallic accents and hardware embellishments were the focus of her collection.
4. Future Away-This season, power shoulders, dramatic peplums, embellished cut-work, strict collars and androgynous styles are the next ‘go-to’. Edgy, fierce, futuristic are the big words this spring/summer! From Rimzim Dadu, Arjun Saluja to Gauri & Nainika and Shivan & Narresh, everyone’s showcasing that the future is here and now. What’s bold is easy, wearable and absolutely decode-able.
5. Layered Soul- This spring season, layers, separates and cover-ups are touted to be every fashion lover’s new BFF! Of course, it’s warm, humid and will get hot in summers but the rule is to layer the short dress in 2013. Move over warm, heat-inducing fabrics and embrace the wonder of sheer fabrics all over again. Structured, pleated and neatly constructed layered jackets, shrugs and other innovative separates made it big. Kiran Uttam Ghosh keeps it simple with her lengthened cotton wraps while Anand Bhushan showcased summer trench coats. Aneeth Arora of Pero showed off some smart-chic sheer lace coats and overalls to keep the look interesting. This brings the perfect mix of resort and summer wear. We love it!
Bold brows, sleek ponytails, studded jackets, meshed prints, matte lips and soft cheeks is what makes you summer ready, the fashion week says! So, go ahead play it up with your own twists and turns to create showstopping looks every day of every week.